[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
I don't think the evidence you cite supports your (I suspect already arrived at) conclusions. Leaving aside that the study uses a very special cohort, the authors themselves conclude that
"the scope for reducing health inequalities related to social position in this and similar populations is limited unless many smokers in lower social positions stop smoking".

So, if the authors are right, we ought to be testing whether effectual behaviour change interventions can be implemented among lower socio-economic groups in order to find out whether or not health inequalities can be reduced through these means.

I don't believe this assertion is correct. In my view the authors would probably accept that their expertise is substantially greater on the clinical epidemiology of smoking, cardiovascular disease and cohort studies than on the social epidemiology of health inequalities

Alex