Dear all

I have just received the following query (see below).

___________________

Dear Hannah,

I'm hoping you can help me with some information or point me in the right
direction to find it.

I am student in my final year of study in the BA Conservation and Restoration
programme at the University of Lincoln. This past summer, I worked with
Conservation Team at the Lesvos Petrified Forest Geopark in Greece. I was
inspired to do some research, so am now I am writing and researching for a
dissertation about the current conservation practices used in Geoparks in
the UK, with a focus on fossil and palaeontological material.

At the moment I am looking for information about:
- fossil hunting
- fossil laws or codes
- fossil trading: legal and illegal
- vandalism of sites
- statistics if there are any
- fossil conservation issues
- outdoor collections of specimens

I do have a copy of the Scottish Fossil Code, so am wondering if England has
developed anything like it. If you are you able to suggest places I could
search for such information, it would be a great help to my research.

Many thanks,
Andrea Walker
________________________

Any suggestions for references to geoconservation would be appreciated.

I have flagged up the Geol Soc's 'The History of Geoconservation' and Nudds
& Pettit's Value and Valuation as well as the following references in the
geological curator:
Volume 2 No 6: Conference report - Geological conservation (1979)
Volume 4 No 4: Geological conservation and the nature conservany council (1985)
Volume 4 No 6: Fossil collecting and conservation in West Dorset (1985)
Volume 6 No 2: Papers from the GCG Meeting - Museums and fossil excavation
(1992)
Volume 7 No 1: The conservation of historically important geological and
geomorphological sites in England (1999)
Volume 7 No 3: Conservation of important geological sites (2000)
Volume 7 No 6: Papers from the GCG seminar on the Commercial Trade: Ethics
versus science (2001)

Many thanks

Hannah