Museums, Science and Learning: How Can Our Educators Meet Today’s Demands? A one-day conference hosted jointly by the Natural History Museum, Science Museum and the MLA Date: Monday 16th March 2009 Venue: Natural History Museum, London (Flett Events Theatre) To book your free place please contact Sally England, Project Assistant, Learning Department, Natural History Museum by emailing [log in to unmask] or calling 020 7942 6272. Overview of Conference programme: Science, museums and learning are about engaging and inspiring audiences. We have the ‘real thing’; though our collections, exhibitions, hands-on centres and galleries we are places that can put learning in context and make it relevant to everyday life. Knowing our audiences - their needs, wants, expectations and understanding - is key to our success. So how do we prepare staff to engage with our audiences and how do we plan for learning? How can we ensure the quality of provision in a growing context of quality assurance schemes and evaluation frameworks – from meeting STEM agendas to our part in the Learning Outside the Classroom initiative? How can we remain distinct from schools yet continue to complement classroom learning? How do we retain good staff and encourage a range of diverse role models to work in our museums and science centres? Is there a career progression model and would staff exchanges be useful? The conference aims to kick-start a dialogue and to explore, with you, the professionalisation of the museum educator role and how we might ensure quality and credibility of museum education work across the sector. Target audience: The conference will be relevant to anyone interested in or involved with learning in informal or out-of-classroom settings – from programme developers, museum educators, Explainers/Science Centre learning staff and learning managers to curators, museum studies trainers and CPD providers. Panellists include: • Heather King – Museum Education Researcher, King’s College London • Jocelyn Dodd – Director, Research Centre for Museums and Galleries, University of Leicester • Sheila Watson – Programme Director, Museums: Learning, Education and Visitor Studies, University of Leicester • Peter Carne – Learning Outside the Classroom Manifesto Champion (DCSF) • Nicky Morgan –¬ Programme Manager: Sector Improvement, MLA • Philippa Hobson – Qualifications & Standards Advisor, Creative & Cultural Skills • Maria Xanthoudaki – Head of Education and International Relations; Museo Nazionale della Scienza e della Tecnologia ‘Leonardo da Vinci’, Milan, Italy • Anthony Richards – Manager of Gallery Programmes, Science Museum, London • Brad Irwin – Learning Operations Manager, Natural History Museum, London • Museum educators from a variety of informal science learning venues To book your free place please contact Sally England, Project Assistant, Learning Department, Natural History Museum by emailing [log in to unmask] or calling 020 7942 6272. Spaces are limited and are on a first come, first served basis. We look forward to hearing from you.