On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 02:24:27PM -0600, Junqian Gordon Xu wrote:
> Ping,
>
> If you ever need something more powerful/versatile than shell scripts
> and FSLUTILS (Miscellaneous FSL Image Utilities), esp. things you need
> to calculate on pixel level, here is a collection of tools (unified by
> python) I use, which should achieve almost anything you want to achieve
> in matlab (I understand I should refrain myself from commenting on
> matlab, but ... anyway):
>
> [1] iPython (interactive env)
> [2] PyNIfTI (file I/O)
> [3] numpy (number crunching)
> [4] rpy2 (interface with R for statistics)
> [5] matplotlib (2D plotting)
> [6] python-gnuplot (plotting)

  [X] SciPy (swiss army knife)

> If your linux distro is debian, you are lucky because everything is
> already packaged for you in the repo.

I fully support this view. However, the are far more packages available
that make the Python-based processing chain very attractive. It actually
comprises the whole scientific process -- ranging from stimulus
generation over data analysis to visualization.

Please let me shamelessly advertise:

  http://www.frontiersin.org/neuroinformatics/paper/10.3389/neuro.11/003.2009/

the included 'Table 1' contains a list of interesting Python packages
that extends the above list even further.

Needless to mention that there is no license cost involved -- which get
very interesting if you want to run stuff on a 100-node cluster...

Michael

--
GPG key:  1024D/3144BE0F Michael Hanke
http://apsy.gse.uni-magdeburg.de/hanke