Thanks, Brook

To expand, my understanding is that the intervalometer is a dial on the
camera which allows for altering the frame rate, such that one can produce,
for example, in-camera time lapse -- and not have to stand beside the camera
for 24-hours to, say, open the shutter every 60 seconds, or whatever
"interval" one is shooting for.  It's used to capture things like watching
the clouds race across the sky, the sun set, a flower bloom, etc.

Additionally, and to clarify, my mention of "step printing" was not to
suggest that it was a form of fast-motion, per se (though it can produce a
kind of visual "staccato" effect), but to clarify for the dialogue that some
of these effects ARE done during production itself, while others are done in
post, which you mentioned as well.

The word I am trying to think of is a word for in-camera fast motion, and I
mentioned "step printing" because it was the word hopping around in my brain
at the time, and not the word I was looking for.  I just can't recall the
word I'm trying to recall just yet...and it's driving me crazy.... My brain
is still working on it though!

As a filmmaker working with celluloid, I am old-school, and part of my
practice involves doing these sorts of things MANUALLY on an optical printer
or through rear projection using an analyst projector.

As for the type of term being looked for at present -- "a
technical/aesthetic term for on-screen movement in films which suddenly
fast-forwards at incredible speed, before returning to 'normal' motion?" --
I would suggest that this is far more difficult to do in-camera than in
post, especially if one wishes to do it somewhat seemlessly (without a cut),
simply because of issues around exposure, and the fact that there would
likely be a visible sign of exposure change, even for a split second, if one
were to do this on the fly, or in production.

Speed adjustments on the fly are not as easy as, say, focus pulling, because
adjustments to speed alter the amount of time the shutter is open for.  That
is, the film moves through the gate faster (for slow motion) or more slowly
(for fast motion), and this alters the amount of time the film is exposed to
light, and so one needs to compensate by adjusting the iris, or exposure
rate, accordingly.  For example, one needs a lot more light to shoot in
slow-mo than they do to shoot in fast motion.  In fact, I have shot in fast
motion at times when there just wasn't enough light, and then reshot the
footage in slow motion during post when the conditions were controllable.

There's a scene in Cassavete's "Shadows" (1959) that takes place in a train
station: Hugh and his agent Rupert are running up a flight of stairs. Most,
if not all, of the exterior and location sequences in this film are shot
guerrilla-style, and the train station is no exception.  There wasn't enough
light to shoot the two men, and no time to set up lights in a train station
stairwell where there's no permission to shoot, people coming and going,
etc., so the scene is shot in fast motion -- not as comic relief, I would
suggest, but simply because it would have been technically impossible in
terms of exposure to get a decent image otherwise.  Why this was not fixed
in post is another issue, but I suspect that because the shot was not
particularly long, and the fast-motion is not overly noticeable, Cassavetes
chose not to slow it down in post.  Just a personal theory, and perhaps some
Cassavetes expert out there knows better.  Would like to hear what folks
have to say about this.

I also agree that this is an interesting thread. I like talking about the
tech stuff.

TL

*
*