2009/2/28 David Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Excuse my ignorance, but what is IGCSE?

David

----- Original Message ----- From: "R.Loxley" <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2009 9:37 AM

Subject: Re: gcse controlled assessment - method or madness?

We have been aware of the potential nightmare of controlled assessments for over a year now and have had many discussions about how to get round it/cope with it.  I've also mentioned it to many people outside my school at all levels and in both sectors.  There seemed to be a lack of concern. Only now does it seem that people are waking up to the reality.  Our solution?  IGCSE - no controlled assessment.

Roger Loxley
Director of Studies
RGS Newcastle

-----Original Message----- From: Economics, business, and related subjects on behalf of Richard Young
Sent: Sat 28/02/2009 05:35
To: [log in to unmask]

A timely post as just this week it has suddenly dawned on our school that
there may be a whole swathe of subjects that require supervised access to IT
rooms so that students can use ICT to create their coursework under
supervised conditions.

SMT are saying that coursework does not necessarily need a computer and they
are right but a return to pen paper and compass to generate graphs to
illustrate a key finding of research eg market share fills me with concern

The link for the regulations is
http://www.qca.org.uk/libraryAssets/media/GCSE_Controlled_Assessment_Regulat
ions_February_2008_QCA-08-3512.pdf With a separate section on Business
studies and business-related subjects on page 14.The 4 pages of regulations.

I am sure this thread will generate some discussion. I am currently not sure
what is required or the implications. Thank goodness for erudite colleagues
on this list :-)

Regards

Richard Young
Director of ICT & Business Education
Deputy Head of Sixth Form (Year 12)
Wood Green School Woodstock Road Witney OX28 1DX
Tel 01993 702355 (switchboard) 01993 899549 (direct) Fax 01993 774961
www.woodgreen.oxon.sch.uk |[log in to unmask]

Blogs: Business Studies Student | Business Studies Teacher | Economics
Teacher | Economics Student
Website: www.rapidrevision.co.uk
Twitter: http://twitter.com/RapidRevision