Dear all,

I'm battling with my PhD thesis and have had a very confusing meeting
with my supervisors. We disagree substantially about whether or not it
is best to use the social model or medical models of disability and
they don't seem very happy with my interpretation of models of
disability in Higher Education (see below). If any of you can assist
me in developing my musings it would be very much appreciated.

As I see it, SENDA is based on the DDA 1995 definition of disability
as "a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and
long-term adverse effect on his ability to carry out normal day-to-day
activities" (DDA 1995, s1(1)). Since it refers to the impairment
having an adverse effect and not to society imposing barriers on a
person with impairments this does not adhere to the social model of
disability and seems more medical model.  Similarly, since medical
evidence is needed for DSA applications and medical professionals are
often asked to comment on the impact on the student's studies this
seems to be adopting a medical model of disability.  HEFCE mainstream
allocation funding is also based on DSA the number of successful
applications so relies on the medical model too.  However, most
universities claim in their Disability Equality Statements that they
adhere to the Social Model. But if universities are trying to
implement the social model within a framework of medical model lead
funding and legislation does this not cause conflicts?  Does this make
sense?

One of my supervisors argues that just because medical professionals
are involved they may not be using the medical model. But it seems to
me that requiring their involvement and proof of disability is medical
model - perhaps I'm wrong in this.  My own personal experience seems
to back this up too - the medical professionals I have dealt with are
very clinical (as you might expect) and have no idea what impact my
visual impairment or any of my other disabilities have on my studies
beyond saying I will have difficulty reading standard size text.  If
the social model was being implemented the professional required would
be one who can identify the barriers rather than just identifying the
impairment - an this would be a disability tutor or similar.  I know
that once the proof is obtained an assessment is made that fits the
social model better, but it focuses on individual rather than general
adjustments which leads to my next problem...

I have my own difficulties with the social model as by blaming society
it seems to imply that society can make general adjustments to meet
the needs of all people. However, if you apply this to a person with a
visual impairment who experiences standard size text as a barrier how
do you overcome this?  You can't produce every size of text, Braille,
audio etc for every piece of standard size text.  The answer seems to
me to make an accessible electronic copy available generally to all
and then make an individual adjustment to create the exact format the
person requires. However, doesn't the need to make individual
adjustments focus on the individual impairment rather than the general
barrier?  Or is the social model flexible enough to allow for both
general and individual adjustments?

As you can probably tell I'm quite confused about all this so if you
have any suggestions or advice, or can point me in the direction of
using reading, I will be very grateful,

Thanks,

Emma

--