Dear colleagues on the Critical Geography Forum,

Apologies to those who are not residents of Canada, although the issues here
may interest everyone on the list.

As part of its new economic stimulusı budget, the Conservative Party of
Canada has announced sweeping changes to funding for the Social Sciences and
Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC).  In particular, it has
directed that SSHRC must divert large amounts of funding for business
post-grad education and research  -- an effective cut to SSHRC funding for
arts and humanities post-grad programs.  Of course, the irony of spending
more money to fund the folks with MBAs who got us into this mess appears to
be lost on the conservative government...  So, if you are a resident of
Canada, please consider signing a petition being circulated by an NDP member
of Parliament.  Details and a link to the petition are below.
Thanks,
Lawrence

--
Lawrence D. Berg, D.Phil.
Co-Director, The Centre for Social, Spatial & Economic Justice

Community, Culture and Global Studies
University of British Columbia
3333 University Way
Kelowna, BC, Canada, V1V 1V7
Voice: +1 250.807.9392, Fax: +1 250.807.8001
Email: [log in to unmask]
WEB: http://www.chrdi.org/ldb/index.html

Editor: ACME: An International E-Journal for Critical Geographies
http://www.acme-journal.org

Co-Leader: BC Disabilities Health Research Network
http://www.dhrn.ca