From: Mark Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 8:56
Subject: Re: Antipode accountability

A heads up regarding "John Jackson."

There is every reason to suspect that the person writing e-mails from various gmail accounts using the name "John Jackson" is hiding behind a pseudonym.

Several people at the University of Bristol and the University of Exeter, and beyond, have received repeated e-mails from accounts bearing the name.  It appears as though this person sees themselves as something of an agent provocateur(-euse).  The e-mails engage in deliberate and often offensive provocation and derision-perhaps even deliberate prevarication-with no discernible aim other than self-gratification.  This person, to mine and colleagues' eyes, does not deal honestly, openly and fairly in their communications, and we have taken simply to deleting e-mails bearing any semblance of "John Jackson."

I realise that this will no doubt just stir the pot, but please don't waste any effort in engaging "John Jackson's" disingenuousness.

Mark

Oliver Belcher wrote:
I can give you a couple of reasons.

First, I was put off by the accusatory tone of the Ilan's concerns. Since I do not know Ilan, it was hard to tell whether there was an ulterior motive at work.  Obviously, he is passionate about Antipode having some sort of accountability mechanism, but I ask, why resort to polemics in order to raise such an issue?  So, the approach is a problem.

Second, I wondered, why Antipode?  Has Ilan gone through every journal in geography and the social sciences in order to check whether they have accountability procedures?  I doubted it, which led me to wonder whether Ilan was resorting to moralizing the issue - Antipode claims to be radical, but they don't put their money where there mouth is by not having a grievance procedure.  If this is merely the point Ilan is trying to make, it sounds more like petty grade school banter than a serious conversation.  So, this is another problem: Ilan's moralizing invites his readers to resort to conjecture - Antipode *must* be doing something wrong, and why won't it implement his right.

I'm still at a loss as to why Antipode needs any formal grievance procedure.  Should it just have one because its radical and... it... just... should have it?  This is a tautology.  Frankly, I don't really care.  Let me explain.  I once had to contact the journal due to my name being out of order in a particular article posted on the website.  Usually, such trifles wouldn't bother me, but I had to bring it up because I had just applied for several fellowships, and I didn't want any of the fellowship committees too look up the article online and see my name third when it should have been first (it is in alphabetical order) - obviously it would have looked like I was misleading the committees by claiming a false first authorship.  So, I contacted the editors, told them the problem, and it was promptly fixed within 48 hours.  Should I have had to go through a proper grievance procedure?  Why the extra paper work, when a one or two-lined email did the trick?  Its not like Antipode has a huge staff with an HR department.

Again, all this led me at the time (though I haven't lost sleep over it) to wonder, what are the motives?  Again, this is what I think Ilan invites his readers to do: be suspicious of somebody or some journal.  Frankly, I'm tired of this form of surveillance society.  Is it not equally radical for me just to trust Noel and Wendy?

Oliver Belcher

--
Oliver Christian Belcher
PhD Student

"The hope that earthly horror does not possess the last word is, to be sure, a non-scientific wish."  Max Horkheimer

"No one likes armed missionaries." Maximilien Robespierre