actually i used to think of these things, i.e. what some may call 'Eco-action' initiatives....but i then remember watching a story of a mother bird building a nest to lay her egg. then i remembered the 'enterprising' beaver building the "dam", then there is the good natured Mole from the wind and the willows! in anycase, does the bird interfere with nature when she builds her nest? or does the beaver cause environmental damage with his 'mega' dam?

i guess what i am saying is these animals are part of nature, if we think ourselves as being part of nature, then we interact with it, not try to change it... so in a nutshell, if i saw many-many startsih suddenly stranded in the beach and I throw some back, it is ok, one may say it is human 'nature'. however, if i decide to get a big bulldozer and decide the bulldoze all the startfishes into the sea....hmm...that may be interference, dont you think?..... it is a thin line between the two, only because we have made the line thin :( lets face it, we have a problem of modernity, and personally i do not see a solution except the solution i am too scared to see..

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 08:37:21 -0800
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Vegan Versus SUV & BBC2 tonight at 8pm
To: [log in to unmask]

I'm sorry, Tom, I guess I was being a bit flippant.  It's a nice inspiring story about compassion, every little bit helps, etc.  I was just reflecting on the thought that, even in this edifying story, "let it be" is not usually part of the human response to nature.

Perhaps there is a better story about somebody picking up plastic bags on the beach and taking them back to the store that distributed them.  We don't need to manage nature, we need to manage ourselves.  This action might even save a few undersea creatures.

John
John Scull
http://members.shaw.ca/jscull
The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation increased; and not impaired in value.
                                                      Teddy Roosevelt