-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	A green recovery
Date: 	Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:17:28 -0800
From: 	Ben Wikler - Avaaz.org <[log in to unmask]>
To: 	[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

  	Dear friends,

*EU leaders meet this weekend to discuss the economic crisis.* It's a
huge opportunity to create jobs and save the planet -- *click below to
urge them to embrace a bold green recovery plan:*

*Send A Message Now*
<http://cdn.avaaz.org/en/green_recovery_europe/?cl=188155526&v=2901>

*In the face of the global economic downturn and the climate crisis, a
brilliant new idea is taking hold: green recovery.* From China's Hu
Jintao to Obama in the U.S., leaders are realizing that a green recovery
-- investing in renewable fuels, efficiency, and new technology -- *is
the best way to create jobs and save the planet* at the same time.

*But at a summit this weekend, European leaders may miss their chance
--* unless enough of us speak up now.

Some European politicians, influenced by special interests, are stuck in
the discarded view that helping the economy must hurt the climate, and
vice versa. If this mindset wins out, vast sums will be spent on
ruinously dirty growth, putting the entire world in peril. But *if we
raise our voices now, we can help tip the balance towards a cleaner,
greener economy that works for us all.*

*Click below to send a message to European leaders,* urging them to
commit to a green recovery plan:

http://cdn.avaaz.org/en/green_recovery_europe
<http://cdn.avaaz.org/en/green_recovery_europe?cl=188155526&v=2901>

Green recovery isn't a dream -- it's already begun. The U.S. has
committed to invest almost 1% of its economic output in sustainable
recovery programmes. China is racing ahead, putting over a third of its
big stimulus package into green investments, while South Korea investing
two-thirds of its package in energy efficiency, green jobs, public
transport and renewable energy.

*The global race to a greener, cleaner future could begin here.* But if
we fail to switch to clean energy now, any economic recovery risks
ending up being crippled by a new oil price spike in a couple of years.

Much more than Europe is at stake. *Next April, the 20 biggest economies
will gather in London to hash global plans for a coordinated response to
the economic downturn. By taking action now, we can put sustainable
recovery at the heart of their economic agenda,* and set world leaders
on the road to a climate deal this December in Copenhagen.

*If enough of us write to our leaders now, we can show them that the
public rejects the false choice between today's economy and tomorrow's
climate.* Follow this link now to urge Europe to embrace a green New
Deal that creates the jobs of the future, ends our addiction to
climate-poisoning fossil fuels, and lays the foundations of a
sustainable economic recovery:

http://cdn.avaaz.org/en/green_recovery_europe
<http://cdn.avaaz.org/en/green_recovery_europe?cl=188155526&v=2901>

With hope,

Ben, Luis, Iain, Ricken, Paul, Alice, Brett, Paula, Graziela, Milena,
Pascal, Veronique -- and the rest of the Avaaz team

More information on green economic recoveries:

Great clean-up - can economic rescue plans also save planet? -- The
Guardian, 24 Feb 2009
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/feb/24/obama-environment-economic-rescue

Nicholas Stern: An outline of the case for a 'green' Stimulus - London
School of Economics, Feb 2009
http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/granthamInstitute/publications/An%20outline%20of%20the%20case%20for%20a%20%27green%27%20stimulus.pdf

United Nations Environmental Programme special Green New Deal site:
http://www.unep.org/greeneconomy <http://www.unep.org/greeneconomy/>

Ban Ki Moon and Al Gore: Green Growth is Essential to any Stimulus -
Financial Times, 16 Feb 2009
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0fa98852-fc45-11dd-aed8-000077b07658.html

Green or Mean -- graphic of comparing the green impact of national
economic stimulus plans:
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Guardian/documents/2009/02/23/ENVIRONMENTweb.pdf

Visit here for the agenda of the meeting:
http://www.eu2009.cz/event/1/3153/

--------------------------------

*ABOUT AVAAZ* Avaaz.org is an independent, not-for-profit global
campaigning organization that works to ensure that the views and values
of the world's people inform global decision-making. (Avaaz means
"voice" in many languages.) Avaaz receives no money from governments or
corporations, and is staffed by a global team based in Ottawa, London,
Rio de Janeiro, New York, Buenos Aires, and Geneva. Call us at: +1 888
922 8229 or +55 21 2509 0368 Click *here*
<http://www.avaaz.org/en/report_back_2/> to learn more about our largest
campaigns. *Don't forget to check out our Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Avaaz/8340223883> and Myspace
<http://www.myspace.com/avaazorg> and Bebo
<http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=6305316853> pages!*
You are getting this message because you signed "GAZA: FULL CEASEFIRE,
END THE BLOCKADE <http://www.avaaz.org/en/gaza_time_for_peace>" on
2009-01-16 using the email address [log in to unmask] To ensure
that Avaaz messages reach your inbox, please add [log in to unmask] to your
address book. To change your email address, language settings, or other
personal information,
https://secure.avaaz.org/act/index.php?r=profile&user=80d8cbb3d620666a328791e1b1e2734f?=en,
or simply *go here to unsubscribe
<https://secure.avaaz.org/act/?r=unsub&cl=188155526&[log in to unmask]&b=523&v=2901&lang=en>*.

To contact Avaaz, please *do not reply to this email.* Instead, write to
[log in to unmask] You can also call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US) or +55 21
2509 0368 (Brazil) If you have technical problems, please go to
http://www.avaaz.org <http://www.avaaz.org/>