I've shared a document with you called "2009-02-08 International News
digested": http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhb7n34c_59gxt77qgw&invite=gk4srbh
It's not an attachment -- it's stored online at Google Docs. To open this
document, just click the link above. --- Dear Colleagues, Here is the
roundup from this week's ARLIS international discussion lists. There is bad
news as the budget cuts are hitting the museum sector hard in the US. Best
wishes, Erica Foden-Lenahan Courtauld Institute of Art
2009-02-08   International News digested

[ARLIS-L] Best practices for Access to Images:Recommendations for Scholarly
Use and Publishing
Sunday, 1 February, 2009 22:32:22
Sarah McCleskey <[log in to unmask]>

 From the Max Planck Institute, and fascinating (to me anyway)

http://www.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/PDF/MPIWGBestPracticesRecommendations.pdf

Sarah McC.

Sarah E. McCleskey
Head of Access Services
Acting Director, Film and Media Library
112 Axinn Library
123 Hofstra University
Hempstead, NY 11549
516-463-5076 (o)
516-463-4309 (f)

[ARLIS-L] Fallout from Brandeis
Monday, 2 February, 2009 13:59:03
Peter Stern <[log in to unmask]>

"In the Closing of Brandeis Museum, a Stark Statement of Priorities

By ROBERTA SMITH
Published: February 1, 2009

WALTHAM, Mass. - Few things are more poignant than a gem of a museum whose
days may be numbered. So it was at the Rose Art Museum at Brandeis
University on a visit Friday, days after the university's trustees voted
unanimously to trash the institution by closing it and auctioning off the
6,000 works in its collection. The action came without consulting either
the museum's own board of governors or its director, Michael Rush."

Entire article at
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/02/arts/design/02rose.html?ref=arts

Peter Stern, Ph.D.
Bibliographer for Romance Languages, Fine Arts, and Area Studies
Adjunct Assoc. Professor, History Department
1967 Du Bois Library
University of Massachusetts
154 Hicks Way
Amherst MA 01003-9275
413-545-3967
413 577-2565 (fax)
http://library.umass.edu/subject/latam

[IFLAART] Trying to recruit new members to our IFLA Art Library Section
Monday, 2 February, 2009 14:08:33

Dear colleagues,

Last summer in Quebec, the Art Library Section Committee decided that
something ought to be done  to increase the number of our section members :
you probably know that on our number of adhesions depends the level of the
subvention we get from the IFLA headquarters, and the bigger we are,  the
better it is ...

Consequently, we wrote together a little "recruiting" message, a kind of
advertisement for our section, to be sent to all kind of libraries,
associations, institutions, organizations, companies in the field of art or
art documentation, NOT being already members of our section, possibly in
all countries, to make new adhesions as quickly as possible.

Here is this message :

And what the standing committee would like you all very much to do is TO
SEND (ME) ALL THE NAMES AND ADRESSES (preferentially EMAIL adresses) of any
organization you could think about, IN YOUR COUNTRY, or in another one,
belonging to any area not already present in our section for example, AS
SOON AS POSSIBLE.
I will then try to achieve quickly this international advertisement
campaign for us all ...

To help your brain storming a bit, here is the present list of members of
ALS Section :

THANK YOU ALL very much in advance,

Best wishes
Lucile Trunel
Chef du secteur Art, Service Littératures orientales et art
Département de Littérature et Art, Direction des Collections
Bibliothèque nationale de France
Tél : 01 53 79 56 10

[ARLIS-L] Registration for the ARLIS/NA - VRAF Summer Educational Institute
for Visual Resources & Images
Monday, 2 February, 2009 17:06:58
"Keefe, Jeanne" <[log in to unmask]>

REGISTRATION TO OPEN MONDAY, FEBRUARY 2nd  FOR THE SUMMER EDUCATIONAL
INSTITUTE FOR VISUAL RESOURCES AND IMAGE MANAGEMENT TO BE OFFERED IN JUNE
8-13, 2009.

The Art Libraries Society/North America (ARLIS/NA) and the Visual Resources
Association Foundation (VRAF) are pleased to announce that registration for
the sixth Summer Educational Institute (SEI) for Visual Resources and Image
Management will open Monday, February 2, 2009.

The Summer Educational Institute will be held at Simmons College in Boston,
Massachusetts, from June 8 through June 13, 2009.  It is an intensive 5-day
workshop intended to provide instruction in visual resources and image
collection management.  ARLIS/NA and the VRAF have developed a special
curriculum to provide intensive training in these areas, training that is
often not found in library and information science degree programs.

The Summer Educational Institute is relevant for beginning visual resources
professionals as well as experienced professionals requiring new skills and
knowledge.  Instructors are drawn from professionals in the field of visual
resources and library and information science.

Tuition is $675 for ARLIS/NA and VRA members and $725 for non-members.
Reasonably priced accommodations in a Simmons College dormitory are
available for  $360 (single occupancy with AC). A cafeteria-style meal plan
(breakfast, lunch & dinner) is offered at $27.50 per day.

While this year’s curriculum will continue to evolve over the next few
months, the basic course offerings will remain the same as they were in
2008. Information on accommodations, meal plans and registration procedures
are now available on the SEI 2009 website.

Contacts (Summer Educational Institute Implementation Committee Co-Chairs):

Jeanne M. Keefe
Visual Resources Librarian
Architecture Library
Greene Building, Rm 306
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
110 8th Street,
Troy, NY 12180
(518) 276-2727

Alix Reiskind
Visual Resources Librarian
Frances Loeb Library
Harvard Graduate School of Design
48 Quincy Street
Cambridge, MA  02138
617.496.8673

[ARLIS-L] black friday at MOCA
Monday, 2 February, 2009 20:00:55
Lynda Bunting <[log in to unmask]>

Hi all,

I’m reposting this message with a more descriptive subject line.

I survived "Black Friday" at MOCA, but my one and only assistant was laid
off. Looking at the cuts across the board, I have to assure you that the
library was not singled out. We lost four other curatorial support
positions. A couple of curators will be without assistants, at least in the
short term. Our education department was hit the hardest.

In an effort to look on the bright side, I'm forwarding a link to the
online Artforum "critics' pick" review of the artists' book exhibition I
co-curated: http://www.artforum.com/picks/section=la#picks21949. For the
next two weeks, it will be the ONLY exhibition open at MOCA. The Geffen is
completely closed for budget reasons; and Grand Ave is undergoing
installation. The Dan Graham exhibition and some permanent collection will
open on Feb. 15. If you're coming out for CAA, please stop by to say hello.

Lynda

Lynda Bunting
Librarian and Archivist
The Museum of Contemporary Art
250 S. Grand Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90012
213-621-1792

[ARLIS-L] New art conservation multilingual dictionary on-line:
English-Spanish-French
Thursday, 5 February, 2009 16:49:13
mireia xarrie <[log in to unmask]>

New art conservation multilingual dictionary on-line: English-Spanish-French

Dear collegues,

I would like to ask your help to diffuse this project,  which is a
multilingual dictionary on-line (English, Spanish and French):

http://www.balaam-art.com/translation.html

You will find about 13,000 entries about art conservation, and if it is a
useful tool, then we will add terms about museology, heritage and archives.

Some institutions are adding this project to their websites, for instance,
Stanford University (Conservation lexical resources).

Kind regards,

Mireia Xarrié
Escoles pies 76
08017 Barcelona