This time next week it will all be over. It seems like people have been
yakking on about the Oscars for ever. At least after next weekend we
will know whether British talent has been recognised or not. British
interest in the awards has been strong in recent years and, naturally,
this is reflected in the resources of the National Register of Archives.
As you would expect. So let's follow the Yellow Brick Road to a magical
land of make-believe. Click on the links and you certainly won't be in
Kansas anymore.

The Patient English

Of course, some folk say the British don't stand a chance unless there
has been an exceptionally poor crop of American movies that year. I'll
have no truck with such pessimism! This man took Hollywood by storm and
deservedly so. Sadly, he is no longer with us. And it may be some time
before the Isle of Wight gets a mention at the Oscars again. If you
don't know who I'm talking about you should get out more. To the cinema,
obviously. Or click on this link.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/subjectView.asp?ID=P5175
2

I Know Where I'm Going

That's a film title, that is. One of my favourites by perhaps the
greatest creative partnership  in British cinema. I love their films,
especially that one about the mad nuns in the Himalayas. And Colonel
Blimp was on the telly again recently, with its great duelling scene in
the gymnasium. Yes, you don't easily forget a film by this pair. Yet
they never received joint recognition, though this man got one on his
own for Forty Ninth Parallel. No, I haven't seen it either. Keep
clicking.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/subjectView.asp?ID=P3686
1

Sad is Good

I'm not afraid to admit that I shed a few manly tears when I went to see
the film of Titanic. And who wouldn't? She was such a lovely ship.
Through the years it has often been a successful route to Oscar glory,
if directors piled on the sentiment. Goodbye, Mr Chips comes into that
category, though it may not strike a chord with younger readers.  Well,
it was released in 1939. The star is probably best remembered for The
Thirty-Nine Steps and he left some interesting papers. As you will find,
if you follow, etc.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/subjectView.asp?ID=P4539
8

British Films for British Directors

As arguments rage about the rise of economic nationalism, here's a
reminder that not everyone makes the journey to Hollywood. Sometimes the
traffic is in the other direction. You may think this man is American,
but I have my reasons, as you will see. I was watching his Paths of
Glory on DVD the other day. Great stuff. "Ready to kill more Germans,
soldier?" It's amazing how many people don't recognise that as a
quotation and just think you're being rude. 2001, Spartacus, you must
have guessed by now.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/subjectView.asp?ID=P5187
6

Women Win Oscars, Too

Which sounds like a sequel, I know, but concentrate. Kate Wins let
reminds me of Partick Thistle Football Club, they both tend not to win
things. That could all change next  weekend (though not for Thistle).
Maybe women have to work that much harder. Here's someone whose
appearance in Passage to India marked an  Indian summer in her career
and  finally brought her Oscar recognition.  Wouldn't it be great if
Kate and India were both  winners on Sunday night?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/subjectView.asp?ID=P868

Now, what to wear...

Alex Ritchie
Information Resources Manager
National Advisory Services
The National Archives
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

020 8392 5330 ext 2606

National Archives Disclaimer

This email message (and attachments) may contain information that is confidential  to The National Archives.  If you are not the intended recipient you cannot use, distribute or copy the message or attachments.  In such a case, please notify the sender by return email immediately and erase all copies of the message and attachments.  Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message and attachments that do not relate to the official business of The National Archives are neither given nor endorsed by it.