Opportunity at Sheffield Archives: Cataloguing Archivist, £22,664, temporary until April 2010
Please note: this vacancy will not be advertised in ARC.
Sheffield Archives has been awarded a grant from the National Archives Cataloguing Grant Scheme to catalogue the archives of Firth Brown Ltd. The extensive collection of 19th and 20th century material comprises the archives of John Brown and Co Ltd (manufacturers of steel and ordnance and colliery owners) and Thomas Firth and Sons Ltd (manufacturers of steel edge tools, ordnance and railway tyres and axles). Both firms lay at the heart of the industrial development of Sheffield as a centre for the heavy metals industry. It was businesses such as Firth Brown that made Sheffield synonymous with steel and led to the adoption of the title - Steel City.

Based at Sheffield Archives, 52 Shoreham Street, Sheffield you will report to the Senior Archivist and you will work closely with colleagues in the Local Studies Library and the Conservation Unit.

Sheffield Archives has been rated a three star service in the local authority self-assessment exercise and has been judged 'likely to improve further'. We have an ambitious action plan to improve all aspects of our service, including the development of our Calm database. If you would like to be part of this we'd like to hear from you.

Closing Date: 20/02/2009
Interview Date: 03/03/2009
Sheffield lies in a beautiful setting and is England's greenest city, containing over 200 parks, woodlands or gardens. In addition, there are all the facilities you would expect from a large city. Sheffield Council is rated as excellent and was voted Council of the year in 2005.

Please complete a form on-line at http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/whats-new/job-vacancies or email [log in to unmask] to request an application form or to submit a completed form. Alternatively telephone HR First on 0114 273 4677. Please quote the post ref number:1268DLAI. Can you please indicate on your application form where you saw the advertisement.

Peter Evans
Archives and Local Studies Manager
Sheffield Archives
52 Shoreham Street
Sheffield
S1 4SP

Tel: 0114 203 9397

Fax: 0114 203 9398

www.sheffield.gov.uk/archives

The information in this email is
intended for the addressee(s) only.
If you are not the addressee, please
tell us by using the reply facility
in your email software as soon as
possible.
Sheffield City Council cannot accept
any responsibility for the accuracy
or completeness of this message as it
has been transmitted over a public
network. If you suspect that the
message may have been intercepted or
amended please tell us as soon as
possible.
Sheffield City Council may monitor all email passing through its networks.