Archaeometallurgy
UCL, Insitute of Archaeology
University College London

Am 26 Feb 2009 um 17:53 schrieb Thilo Rehren:

For c 1200, Theophilus' On Divers Arts is even more relevant / appropriate since it dates from the exact same period, and is also much more concerned with artefact production and craft skills. However, he does offer rather less on microstructures. For those, try David Scott's Metallography of Ancient and Historic Metals.

Thilo

----- Original Message ----- From: "Terry Griner" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2009 4:37 PM
Subject: Re: Medieval production of copper objects

Die Re Metalica comes to mind.

Thanks
Terry

-----Original Message-----
From: Arch-Metals Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Maickel van Bellegem
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2009 10:55 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Medieval production of copper objects

Dear all,
For work I am doing on a Limoges(?) ciborium, dating to c.1200 I am looking for
literature about production of copper (possibly with enamel and gilding) during
the Medieval period (from Spain to England). Especially hot forging has my
interest but any suggestions towards ore processing, metalware manufacture
techniques and subsequent metal microstructures are welcome.
Thank you, Maickel van Bellegem (metal conservator, The British Museum)