From: Richard Stott <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Units[Scanned]
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Friday, 13 February, 2009, 9:49 AM

Dear All

Rather than complaining among ourselves, maybe we need to report this sort of thing to Connecting for Health? They really need to know about each time we find an issue with communications or computer systems.

I would argue that it is a potentially significant risk to patients for a result to be presented to any clinician in different units to those it was reported in. We all know that clinicians (and ourselves!) frequently talk in numbers without the units and that makes quoting a different value back to the lab a significant potential contributor to incorrect diagnosis and advice.  Obviously we also need to adopt a culture of not believing any results quoted back but checking on our systems before we comment.

CfH are (belatedly?) implementing a patient safety team which can be accessed via the office of  the chief clinical officer. Follow this link for the contact details -http://www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/engagement/clinical/occo

Regards

Richard Stott
Principal Clinical Scientist & Clinical Governance lead , Pathology.

Doncaster & Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/