Martin,

I've heard it said more than once that Washington DC is a place where bureaucrats
presiding over artists and writers thrive, though artists and writers don't.  It's rare when
the bureaucratic language describing why so and so won this or that award is convincing
as a critical evaluation.  I can think of only one artist who became a bureaucrat in Wash
DC for a period and continued to advance his aesthetic and make intriguing art:  Jim
Melchert.

Dana Gioia, chairman of the national endowment of the arts under W, admitted that his
bureaucratic activity during the last six years prevented him from composing even one
poem.  He hopes that his bureaucratic endeavors for the Aspen Foundation will allow him
more time for his own writing.  I've yet to have a conversation with any writer who
benefitted from Gioia's tenure, though they exist and could be labelled "a bureaucrat's
examples".

How do you think those "essays in response" hold up in comparison to "literary criticism"?

Barry