Dear all, Many thanks for your help.  Our modern female specimen has a humerus GL of 104.2mm and our male specimen has a humerus GL of 101.1mm, so perhaps we need more data on bone sizes in more northerly birds as Simon has called for.  I will also check the original identification and provenance of our male specimen.

The archaeological female goshawk was discarded along with a male sparrow-hawk (based on size) in a 13th c. cesspit at Windsor and I have not ruled out that the latter might have been used for hawking (though perhaps for taking smaller quarry on the whole).  I’m aware of the discussions regarding sex of archaeological birds in Prummel (1997) but Cherryson (2002) notes that little data has been published on the sexes of archaeological specimens from medieval England, so it’s difficult to know what the female:male ratio would have been generally.  Michell (1900) mentions “the use of the trained sparrow hawk, both male and female…”.but the discussion focuses on female birds.  I have not yet done a survey of new zooarchaeological data so any published or unpublished reports are welcome.

Best wishes, Poly

Cherryson, A.K., 2002  The identification of archaeological evidence for hawking in medieval England, in Acta zoological cracoviensia, 45: 307-314.

Michell, E.B., 1900  The art and practice of hawkingLondon:Methuen and Co.

Prummel, W., 1997  Evidence of hawking (falconry) from bird and mammal bones, in International Journal of Osteoarchaeology, 7: 333-338.

Dr. Polydora Baker

Senior Zooarchaeologist

English Heritage

Research Department