Richard

Fair point.  I accept that the problem MAY be more complex than it was in the past (but actually, at Lifeline we were detoxing poly-drug users all through the 1970s – mainly diconal + palfium + pethedine + barbiturates + mandrax – I’ve no idea where this daft idea came from that poly-drug use is a recent phenomenon).

However, your argument that a more complex problem needs a more sophisticated detoxification approach is undermined by two crucial issues:

  1. What we are seeing on offer, generally is not by any standards a sophisticated approach.  Virtually all detoxification interventions in the UK are heavily reliant on two major staples – methadone and valium.  It rarely gets any more sophisticated than that and even then this tends to be done to a standard template that barely changes from patient to patient.

  1. Doctors are VERY fond of quoting the “evidence base”.  What this glib term really means is “what I read in the Lancet, the BMJ, JAMA etc. plus what it says in the NICE guidelines”.  What it does not mean is “evidence base”.  The medical profession has spent years trying to convince us that anything other than research published in medical journals and undertaken under RCT conditions is worthless.  Thus most medical professionals in the UK will ignore (or – worse – be unaware of) 40 years of outcome research into TC methodology and tell you that there is no “evidence base” for TCs

Try Thomas Szaz’s “Ceremonial Chemistry” – still a good read.  The mythologising and self-agrandisement of the medical profession by the medical profession is not new and it is not unique but it is very silly and self-limiting.

Rowdy Yates
Senior Research Fellow
Scottish Addiction Studies
Sociology, Social Policy & Criminology Section
Department of Applied Social Science
University of Stirling

E: [log in to unmask]

W: http://www.dass.stir.ac.uk/sections/showsection.php?id=4 (home)