Happy birthday, by the way!

Checked the American Embassy website in London which has the press
release below. Going to the US government official website (link at
bottom of press release) says "The tool is easy, free and available in
16 languages." They make it clear in various places that it's Free, and
Easy, so probably no need to pay that extra $49.95 for a commercial guide.

      One Month Away: New Requirements for British Citizens Traveling to
      the U.S.

(This updates the press release from last year dated 12 December 2008
<http://www.usembassy.org.uk/ukpapress88.html>.)

A rough estimate of the number of UK travelers heading to the U.S. in
January 2009 indicates only about 50 percent of those who qualify to
travel visa-free are registering with the Electronic System for Travel
Authorization (ESTA). The goal is to have 100 percent of all eligible UK
travelers signed on by 12 January 2009 when ESTA registration in advance
of travel becomes mandatory.

"Britain is among the top countries that have understood the need to
sign up for ESTA. The response is good, but many more travelers will
have to sign up before traveling to the U.S. They need to know that ESTA
will not be optional - it will be required before they get on that
plane," said Rick Galbraith, head of the Customs and Border Protection
office at the U.S. Embassy.

In January 2007, about 8,000 Britons traveled to the U.S. each day. So
far only about 3,700 travelers per day are registering with ESTA. So all
else being equal, the registration rate for travel next month could be
somewhere around 50 percent. Final figures won't be known until the end
of next month.

Beginning 12 January 2009, all nationals and citizens of Visa Waiver
Program (VWP) countries - including the UK - will be required by law to
obtain a travel authorization prior to traveling to the United States
under the VWP. Travelers can register for authorization online through
ESTA, a FREE Internet application administered by the Department of
Homeland Security (DHS) through a U.S. government Web site. All UK
citizens planning to travel to the U.S. in the future must apply now.

Eligible visitors seeking to travel to the United States under the VWP
may apply for travel authorization via the ESTA Web site at
https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov but should confirm their eligibilty for ESTA
(and previosly the Visa Waiver Program) by using our Visa Waiver Wizard
<http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/visa_wizard.html>. .

VWP travelers should be aware that unauthorized third-parties have
established Web sites, which charge visitors seeking to travel to the
United States under the VWP, for information about ESTA and for
submitting ESTA applications on behalf of the traveler. These Web sites
are not endorsed by or affiliated in any way with the U.S. government.
The U.S. government does not charge a fee for ESTA. Use of a private
service to apply for travel authorization via ESTA will not expedite the
granting of approval.

We recognize that there will be a number of travelers who, for one
reason or another, might not be able to access the Internet to complete
an ESTA application. In those cases, we recommend that travelers call a
friend, family member, colleague or their travel agent - all of whom can
fill out an ESTA application on behalf of the traveler. Public libraries
and their helpful staff are also excellent resources. Additional
information about ESTA may be found at http://www.cbp.gov/esta .