On Sat, 17 Jan 2009, Burke, S (Stephen) wrote:

Sorry, the "laptop" notion in my original mail came from a train of
thought that should have been on a completely separate track...

> Testbed Support for GridPP member institutes
> > [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Henry Nebrensky said:
> > Should the latter by expected to sign up to the GridPP-USERS
> > list, or is
> > it up to the VO to notify them about this sort of thing?
>
> It would probably help for the affected VOs to notify their users. I
> always say that having a personal UI isn't recommended except for
> experts for exactly this kind of reason, maintenance is non-trivial.

I'm not thinking of a "personal UI" in the "Joe Physicist gets the config
files and does it himself" sense.

At least for MICE, it's possible there will be small groups wanting to do
analysis, either on the Grid or locally (for which they will still need
Grid credentials & middleware to download the data), at institutes outside
the UK that aren't part of WLCG, let alone EGEE. (also inside the UK come
to think of it - Warwick.) Hence the possibility of corporate or
institutional UIs (not "personal" UIs) that nevertheless are not part of
an existing Grid site.

For LHC the big experiments have invented Tier 3, which has the side
effect of providing a home for such things within the Grid infrastructure
- hence maybe this hasn't been an issue before.

I appreciate that we'll have to do some support within MICE once we get
going, so I'd be interested in hearing how other VOs do this. Should
institutes be expected to enter their details into GOCDB if they are only
providing a UI? Should non-UK end-users (or their IT support) be joining
GridPP mailling lists?

Thanks

Henry

--
Dr. Henry Nebrensky                     [log in to unmask]
                             http://people.brunel.ac.uk/~eesrjjn