On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Tim Jenness wrote:

>>> Mark - are you using a v1.5 client yet? Would you mind upgrading if you
>>> don't? Sticking with subversion for starjava should be helped a little
>>> when merging is available properly. (Peter is using lots of branches on
>>> starlink repo at the moment so maybe he would want to switch to v1.5 of
>>> svn in the short term).
>>
>> I'm using a 1.1 client but I can upgrade (if necessary?  not sure whether
>> a 1.1. client can talk to a 1.5 server or not).
>>

> Eek. That's from september 2004.

How crushingly embarrassing.  I've just noticed that LaTeX hasn't much
update action in the past few years either, I'd better stop using that too.
Seriously: I *like* old software, it's not full of surprises.

> http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.5_releasenotes.html
>
> indicates all the new features since 1.4. The most obvious being native merge

I had seen the list of updates, and made a mental note that I'll need
to upgrade if I need proper merging etc, but so far 1.1 has done what
I want.

> support. Once you've upgraded your clients to 1.5 I can upgrade the server so
> that merge will be enabled. You can't talk to a 1.5 repository unless you
> have a 1.5 client.

From my reading of that page a 1.1 client should be able to talk to
a 1.5 server and/or a 1.5 repository, though obviously 1.5isms won't
work.  So you can upgrade the server at will (if I'm wrong and it's
not compatible, or if I want the new features obviously I will upgrade).

> I'm enoying trying to win over Mark to the idea of DVCS even though I don't
> imagine it will work (hence my dual pronged attack of suggesting at least
> upgrading svn).

I'm glad.  I don't mind being perceived as (or being) a curmudgeon and
a Luddite, but I don't want to spoil anyone's day in the process :-).
I'll admit to finding some of the pro-DVCS attributes you note desirable,
though as Peter pointed out earlier, tracking file and directory
name changes which seemed to be a major stated driver for moving
from CVS->svn seems to have gone by the board.

[log in to unmask] +44-117-928-8776 http://www.star.bris.ac.uk/~mbt/