I wanted to be able to model the shape and size of the brain from the
deformations, and not just some measure that has an affine transform factored
out from it.  In practice though, because DARTEL uses a constant velocity
framework, it means that the further it has to deform something, the less
accurate are the resulting warps.  Beginning with an affine reg may therefore
result in more accurate inter-subject alignment, but the shape measures would
be a mess to work with. Variable velocity (eg LDDMM) or geodesic shooting
methods have fewer such issues - but they are quite a lot slower.

My principle aim was not to spatially normalise the brains to MNI or Talairach
space.  I primarily wanted the brains to be aligned to the other brains in
the study, with as little bias as possible. Shape is nonlinear, so if linear
approximations are to be used for studying it, then it is more accurate to
base those linear approximations at some point close to the average shape.
See eg

Statistics on diffeomorphisms via tangent space representations
NeuroImage, Volume 23, Supplement 1, 2004, Pages S161-S169
M. Vaillant, M.I. Miller, L. Younes, A. Trouvé

I figured that I would eventually get around to coding up a second step to put
all the brains into MNI space and therefore make it easier to use DARTEL for
more general spatial normalisation purposes.

Best regards,
-John