There is a trade-off between attempting to match the image intensities with
those of the template, and keeping the deformations as smooth or as small as
possible.  The component that keeps the warps smooth is the regularisation,
so if you regularise more, then it will give less deformation.

Note that the part that assesses image similarity is based on the mean-squared
difference.  This relies on the pattern of intensity in the individual scans
being similar to that in the template.  I don't know anything about the
distribution of uptake in your mystery F18 compound, but the pattern of
uptake of PIB does not really resemble the pattern of O15 distribution of the
scans that constitute the PET template.  If you have dynamic data, then you
could maybe add up the first few frames and estimate the spatial
normalisation parameters from these (as their signal is likely to be more
representative of typical blood-flow).

Best regards,
-John