Since this appears to be a repeated measures design, then the subject factor
is important to include. See
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0803&L=SPM&P=R16629 for more
details. The attachment in that archive also deals with the issue of
variance.

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Cyril Pernet <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear Roberto
>
> > I'm actually studying a group of patients with Parkinson disease
> implanted
> > with a cerebral stimulator (DBS) who perform a motor task. I'm wondering
> if
> > what I do is correct: this is a multisubject design and I think I should
> > perform a full-factorial design on SPM5, using three factors: subjects,
> > Stimulation (on vs. off) and Task (Movement vs. Rest).
>
> I see only 2 factors Stimulation and Task ; unless you also have controls
> ??
>
> > The questions are:
> > 1) I read published papers in the literature with similar studies using
> the
> > default 'proportional scaling' while I read on the manual to use 'AnCova'
> as
> > normalization. Which is the correct one?
>
> depends what you want to do? if you have a measure, say of tremor, for each
> subject with the stimulation on and off then you could use an AnCOVA to
> regress this out ; this would give you the effects you are investigating
> giving that the tremor differences between subject and condition (on off) is
> taken into account .. there is no direct relation between proportional
> scaling and AnCOVA ..
>
> > 2) When dealing with 'subject' as a new factor, do I have to use 'Equal'
> > under 'Variance'? Most people dealing with SPM told me to leave
> 'Unequal'.
> > How may I manage this? Is 'Unequal' uncorrect?
>
> if it is for control vs patients then unequal, you don't expect the two
> groups to be the same
>

> > Why do you think there is this difference between theory and practice
> > (published papers?)
>

>   ?? maybe people don't read the manual :-) as you did
>

> > 3) One more question is: should I leave blank on 'Overall grand mean
> > scaling' or select 'yes' at 50?
>
> as you want really, if you want to select a value take 100; the values in
> the con images would then reflect the % of variation of the signal BOLD
>
> Good luck
>
> Cyril
>

> --

Best Regards, Donald McLaren
D.G. McLaren
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Neuroscience Training Program
Office: (608) 265-9672
Lab: (608) 256-1901 ext 12914
unintentionally, please immediately notify the sender via telephone at (608)
265-9672 or email.