The *.tex files are like source code, which gets compiled to generate .pdf (or
.dvi or .ps) files.  LaTeX is the word processing system that most engineers,
mathematicians, physicists (and some of the SPM co-authors) prefer to use, as
it is good for organising documents and typesetting equations. Unlike other
word-processing tools, it is relatively trivial to automatically generate
LaTeX files automatically (which means that much of the online documentation
in SPM is identical to what is in the manual).  It is also free.
Unfortunately, many journals do not accept LaTeX, or deal with it very well.

Anyway, getting back to the point.  Try running the following:

    cd spm8/man
    pdflatex manual.tex
    pdflatex manual.tex

The "\begin{document}" and "\end{document}" stuff is in manual.tex, along with
a number of other commands for setting up the document.

Best regards,
-John