Hi fiona

The main problem is that you have lots of ivs, and spss thinks they
are different, but they are all the same - e.g. Reaction time.  You
would probably like the effect of a covariate to be the same for each
effect (I'm thinking here of a between person covariate like sex).
If the effect is different you lose a bunch of df, and hence power.

The bigger problem though is that you are not easily able to interpret
your effect - all a manova tells you is that the variables are
different (and because the effects of the covariates are different its
not possible to compare them really).  A multilevel model tells you
how different the different variables are.

What we might call 'modern' stats programs, like R (actually now I
can't think of anoter) don't really have a manova command, they expect
you to use a miltilevel model.

Oh, now I think of it one more advantage of going multilevel is
missing data.  If a person misses a test or is a wild outlier and has
to be deleted (which is pretty common in reaction time stuff) and you
want to use manova then you need to delete the whole person.  If you
do a multilevel model you only need to discard that one measurement.

Another thing (while I'm on a roll) is that you can have hundreds of
measures per person - the more the better - in a multilevel model.
Manova would get upset about that.

If you want more help with the glm output, andy field's book
"discovering statistics" is good.  The new edition (third) also covers
multilevel models (is that out yet?  I don't think it is but I might
not have noticed).  There's also a nice book called "multilevel
models: its just regression" (I forget the author).

Jeremy

P.s. I wrote this mostly on my phone in a dentist waiting room, so
forgive typos pls.

--
Sent from my mobile device

Jeremy Miles