I think it would be appropriate to escalate this dispute with the
AAAS. However, I'm not privy to discussions within the NASW and ABSW,
so it would be good if we can find a way of coordinating across the
various groups and forums. I've notified the NUJ and IFJ about the
matter, and am planning to approach senior figures within the AAAS.

I agree with Michael about the embargo system. I personally regard it
as potentially corrupting of journalism. But while it exists, all
journalists have to work with it. If major media outlets such as the
BBC and national dailies have time to prepare breaking news stories
before the embargo breaks, it is all the more difficult for freelances
who do not have this privilege to pitch to commissioning editors.

Francis

On 16 Jan 09, at 12:45, Michael Kenward wrote:

> It would be interesting to know how this issue is playing out over
> on the
> email lists of the US National Association of Science Writers.
>
> I seem to recall similar moans there in the past about treatment of
> freelance journalists.
>
> Personally, I am very suspicious of the embargo system. It seems to
> benefit
> only the journals that love them. If I can still get access to
> things like
> PNAS, I am happy to use other ways to get stories.
>
> There are SEC issues, although it took the journals years to spot
> the issue.
>
> This issue is, by the way, also ruffling feathers over on the
> mailing list
> of Association of British Science Writers. Several other freelance
> writers
> have been clobbered.

Dr Francis Sedgemore
journalist and science writer
http://sedgemore.com

send an email to mailto:[log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com mail -- [include hyphens]

leave psci-com -- [include hyphens]