The glasses in the video are also on inverted plastic bins. This might
be providing some shock absorption.

 From my experience of breaking glass with sound, there is a huge
variation in the robustness of glasses. If you haven't already, I would
go around a department store looking for the thickest well-made glasses.

Of course, it would be possible to cheat and weaken the broomstick. If
it has a fault in the middle, that would give it a fracture point for a
crack to open up and break it. So it is also be down to the type of
broomstick. Poor quality ones made from poor quality wood might break
the best and without cheating!

You might also look at how you hit the broomstick. But you'd have to
talk to a karate expert about that

If you get this to work, I'm borrowing a high speed camera in June, it
might be fun to film it being done on that.

Trevor

--

Trevor Cox
Professor of Acoustic Engineering

send an email to mailto:[log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com mail -- [include hyphens]

leave psci-com -- [include hyphens]