From: Robin Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Inverted commas and such
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, January 22, 2009, 1:00 PM

Many thanks, Chris!!!

I'll rather selfishly rip-out what is useful to my purposes.  <g>

I have two issues around this -- the general one of the relation of manuscripts
to oral delivery, and a more specific one around just what the hell is happening
in English printing between 1530 and 1560.

What you say below clarifies things in my mind, but finally drives me deeper
into my already wild and wayward conjecture.  <g>

First, would it be useful to distinguish a more specific term
("punctuation") from a more general one ("pointing")?

{Reading through -- well, on [as usual] the third reading -- what you said
below, it occurred to me to google <punctuation pointing>, and I came on a
rather nice piece that says a lot:

       http://www.ualberta.ca/~sreimer/ms-course/course/punc.htm    }

Crudely, to give you something to shoot down, would it be fair to say that MS
pointing reflects the spoken word, tends to mark larger or smaller blocks of
text, and thus, with the appearance of linear layout in early printed texts,
actually leads in the first instance to a *reduction of what we would now think
of as "punctuation"?

{As an aside, I'm intrigued by the way in which the issue turns on not the
spoken vs. the written but on MS vs. printed texts.}

This would seem to me to make sense of the way in which the  earliest English
printed texts actually contain *less pointing [sic] than the immediately
previous MSS -- lineation is used in place of pointing to indicate blocks of a
larger or lesser extent, nah?

<Thus you get the weird situation of Wyatt in Egerton writing [sic] a text
which fuses the earlier MS conventions, with an overlay of the effect of
Guttenberg, leading to the use of lineation, together with, save the occasional
virgule, virtually no pointing whatsover.>

Also, of course, lineation works as a disambiguating factor in poetry more than
prose -- perhaps the descriptions should separate the two?  I don't off-hand
have access to Caxton's Reynard and Aesop printed texts, but they would
obviously be a factor here.

All of which means that I now think I have more of a handle on why
Copland's printed _Highway_ in 1530 reads as a manuscript.

Then by Tottel in 1558, punctuation (sic!) breaks out, like measles, as the
printers finally come to terms with the fact that a printed text needs a
different orthography from earlier MSS which (more directly?) reflect the spoken
word.

Which is why I originally said that punctuation is a result of the printing of
texts.

I'm now prepared to admit (which I should have said originally <g>)
that pointing, to a greater or lesser degree, occurs in MS texts, but that
punctuation, in the sense we have come to think of it, is a result of printing.

... I'm not sure whether that's any better or clearer on my part, but
does reflect my response to what you said in your post.

<As a last aside -- I'm not sure about this yet, but I'm inclined to
think that it's possible to argue that with cant texts found between 1660
and 1730, the less punctuation, the more likely the text is to represent an oral
original.

Unfortunately, my prime example of this, "The Budg and Snudg Song,"
printed virtually without punctuation in _A Warning to Housekeepers_, was
earlier printed *with punctuation by Richard Head.  Bah!!!>

Robin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Walker"