From: Poetryetc: poetry and poetics [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of David Bircumshaw
Sent: 27 January 2009 23:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: No Subject

Ah, Chris, 'to touch' and art. This afternoon I was going round an
exhibition of Arts and Crafts stuff by Ernest Gimson and his
collaborators: chairs, tables, a sofa even, all wood. And what you
could not do was touch any of them. Or sit on them, which is the
natural reaction to find out what a chair is like. Art is money, and
you have to have the right bank account to finger and feel it.
Modernism has taken alienation even further: we have virtual reality
as a ground line, poetry is disappearing, into a nothingness of
unvoice. Friends on Facebook, pseudo-art in pixels, blah blah blah.
I'm afraid our dear friends in the USA have been more responsible for
this disaster than anyone, but I understand the Chinese are taking Art
as Mass Production Capitalism further than anyone.

Avant-garde poetry started out as a critical response to the overwhelm
of capitalism, unfortunately now it has been absorbed by the Beast.

We need a new direction, all round, but bugger knows what it is. I've
got to the point where I no longer want to write, and certainly not
publish, because I don't want to get sucked into the monstrousness
that fouls my life any more than I already am.

Best

Dave

--
David Bircumshaw