PLAGIARISM Digest - 31 Dec 2008 to 1 Jan 2009 (#2009-2)

Re:- below  yep I agree Mike >

What & why are you comparing & why waste  time on comparing them anyway?  A much better use of your time would be to create a staff development programme that uses your chosen ”text matching” tool as a teaching tool , as opposed to a policing tool.

 If you therefore treat SafeAssign as a (free) teaching tool,  then it makes no difference whether or not it’s more or less accurate than TII – as it’s been used as a  strong teaching aid. And that’s what TII (not free) states as it’s primary use is anyway.  Those who just use TII or similar to purely check suspect scripts are missing the point of employing such tools/ teaching aids.

 </rant over >  :o)

Regards..

Kevin Brace.

HE Co-ordinator.

JISC Regional Support Centre West Midlands, University of Wolverhampton,

Technology Centre, Wolverhampton Science Park, Glaisher Drive, Wolverhampton WV10 9RU

T: +44 (0)1902 518931

F: +44 (0)1902 824345

E: [log in to unmask]

This email, together with any attachment, is for the exclusive and confidential use of the addressee(s) and may contain legally privileged information.  Any use, disclosure or reproduction without the sender's explicit consent is unauthorised and may be unlawful.

Any email including its content and any attachments may be monitored and used by The University of Wolverhampton for reasons of security and for monitoring internal compliance with the University's policy on internet use. Email blocking software may also be used. The University cannot guarantee that this message or any attachment is virus free or has not been intercepted and amended.

If you believe you have received this message in error please notify the sender by email, telephone or fax and destroy the message and any copies.

Happy New Year! Can I play Devil's Advocate a bit and ask your reasoning?  Presumably your institution has made this decision primarily on cost grounds. In which case any comparison is futile, as TurnitinUk is no longer free; and never was really because it was funded by JISC. My own pretty anecdotal view is you get what you pay for - including the training and support - or in your case, maybe you don't. Your comment "free (to Blackboard users)" is indicative. What might me really useful to fellow list subscribers would be an account by you of your experiences with this bolt on option to Blackboard, as Service ( a deliberate emphasis on the S) is what is critical for you, beyond any technical comparison with other detection packages.

Mike

Stephen Williams asked:

> My institution has adopted SafeAssign as its plagiarism detection

> software. Does anybody know of any published comparisons between this

> piece of free (to Blackboard users) software and Turnitin please?

PLAGIARISM Digest - 31 Dec 2008 to 1 Jan 2009 (#2009-2)

Table of contents:

  1. SafeAssign

Browse the PLAGIARISM online archives.

Anti-Virus FilterPowered by the LISTSERV Email List Manager

--
Scanned by iCritical.

************************************************************************* You are subscribed to the JISC Plagiarism mailing list. To Unsubscribe, change your subscription options, or access list archives, visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/PLAGIARISM.html *************************************************************************