Hi all,

This is my first time posting to this list so I’d appreciate any feedback on this query. A colleague passed on this query to me as I’ve taken an interest in the topic of plagiarism in my job here as librarian in University College Dublin.

A physiotherapist came into the library who is doing a course through the University of Bradford in England. She has to write an essay - which is not being published - for her course. She is using diagrams from some journal articles/books in her essay but has come across a problem with using them.

Both of her tutors have told her that she needs permission from the original authors to use the diagrams in her essay. She has referenced the diagrams both in her essay and in her list of references. But her tutors have told her that this is not enough, and that she needs to get permission from the authors to use them. If she does not get permission to use the diagrams, she has to alter them in some way, and use the words adapted from and reference the original diagram.

She has emailed the authors, but has received no reply.

Has anyone on the list ever heard of this?

Thank you and regards

Mark

Mark Tynan

James Joyce Library

University College Dublin

Belfield

Dublin 4

01-7167165

************************************************************************* You are subscribed to the JISC Plagiarism mailing list. To Unsubscribe, change your subscription options, or access list archives, visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/PLAGIARISM.html *************************************************************************