Hi all

I have also been following with interest this debate. I applaud the efforts of everyone with a pragmatic impulse to want to actively pursue the development of a design policy document. My own skepticism is merely that of taking a cautious approach to the likely outcomes and consequences of such a venture. In a previous life working in language education in Australia and New Zealand I read about and participated in discussions to set up national language policies. Some of these policies came to fruition but appeared to have little impact on government, school, university practice vis-a-vis for example encouraging quality foreign language learning, developing bilingualism ... etc ... So the grain of salt (skepticism) is also part of what Stolterman might call 'thoughtful interaction design' i.e. a critical and informed awareness of precedents and consequences. Such informed critique goes hand in hand with policy activism - the two are not separate. Cheers.

Dr Gavin Melles
Research Fellow & Academic Head of Interior, Industrial and Product Design Engineering , Faculty of Design
Swinburne University of Technology
Office: +613 92146851
Skype: gavin.melles