Hello Diana

Unlike some colleagues I have generally had a positive experience of
receiving reports from GPs. I learned quickly that a positive outcome
resulted from asking specific questions rather than requesting a general
report.  It simplifies the task for the GP  as they know exactly what
information is required. I can only think of one occurrence when the GP took
weeks to respond to my request, returned a two line report which did not
answer the questions I posed and submitted an invoice for a hefty fee. I
politely responded to the effect that we would settle his invoice when I
received a  response which answered the questions I posed. He never gave me
answers to those specific Qšs, we didnšt pay his invoice and we heard no
more from him.

Like you, I asked a GP for a report on a client who responded saying that
they were unable to provide any information as the client had not been seen
in the practice for a considerable length of time. That information in
itself was helpful as from memory the person was aged about 25-30, had been
referred to OH due to having been absent for something in the region of 50+
days on approx 35 occasions and had implied to that he had already sought
the advice of his GP. When I asked the client why they had not seen their GP
recently despite a recurrence of a range of symptoms they responded by
saying they were brought up not to go to their doctor with every little
twinge. The clinical picture, coupled with the client not considering their
health to be problematic  enough to consult their GP was sufficient for me
to be able to respond to his manager something to the effect of  ŗThere does
not appear to be a significant health problem underpinning the manšs absence
pattern˛. ­ ie over to you ­ its a management problem.

Anne Harriss
Course Director
London South Bank University

On 28/1/09 00:28, "Diane Romano-Woodward" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I can go one better, after having requested a report from the record and
> waiting approx 8 weeks I got the response that they would not be able to
> provide this , but could do an OH consultation and report..(worth a try I
> suppose!!). I rang up out of curiosity as to why this could not be done, I
> think it was because the person had not been seen recently, or it was complex
> or something. When I asked the practice manager about the  OH qualification of
> the person who might do a consultation she mentioned an Obs and Gynae
> qualification and assured me he did some work for B***,a large provider of OH.
> Eventually we decide he had a diploma in OH...Needless to say I decide that it
> would be better for one of the OH Physicians to see this person if the GP
> could not provided a report.
> Having said that,on many occassions I have had extremely cooperative GPs and
> some decent reports, and this is in the majority of my interactions..
> Cheers
> Diane
>

> Windows Live Hotmail just got better. Find out more!
> <http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/windowslive/products/hotmail.aspx>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Please remove this footer before replying.
>
> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html
>
> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH
>
> OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH JOBS http://OHJobs.drmaze.net