I really hate that concept of "challenging the GP" as i really feel that isn't approrpriate (Alan be interesting to hear your view on this?) . I position it as us both being experts in our own fields with the GP the expert on treatment etc and OH being the expert on how any illness/ symptoms impact on ability to work and how to move on from limitations to capability taking into account predicted pathways for recovery, impact of symptom control methods and rehabiliation programmes etc with our angle being supporting functional restoration whereever possible. I always impress on employees that although it may not be what they want to hear at the time my advice is always has their best interests at heart (from a health recovery point of view) and quite often that does mean challenging their belief systems and behaviours and sometimes asking "so you say you'll see what your GP says about returning next week, what do you expect to be different between now and next week apart from another week of deconditioning and lack of routine etc"