Good question:

I think many of us would agree with the general sentiment here - however it
really depends on the follow up logic and for what position you are
assessing suitability for

eg

Do you suffer with migraines - No --> proceeed to next question

Do you suffer with migraines - Yes --> Frequency ? Severity expressed in
missed social activities, absence from work, medication taken ( side
effects, ?injections needing private area to administer etc...)

what are the triggers? ( cheese chocholate (tasters), red wine( supermarket
buyer) may make some jobs less suitable ( I look after a food company where
the job involves tasting food stuffs for instance including cheese, )

Stress induced may make night shifts, overtime less suitable, safety
critical jobs like air traffic control etc...

So a yes to one simple question clearly does not allow you to  make a
complete assessment but perhaps indicates where you should be enquiring with
more specifics

This approach lends itself to an online system which offers further
questions depending on the initial answer.

DOI : As many of you know my online system allows for this

Mark

2009/1/28 SUBSCRIBE OCC-HEALTH E T Chiwi <[log in to unmask]>

> Hello to the List,
>
> There are some questions that I feel are not necessary in a health
> questionnaire e.g. asking if someone suffers from migraines or not, since I
> believe more than half the population out there suffers form migraine now
> and
> then, especially with the hectic modern day life. To me it is like asking
> if
> someone does get a common cold or not, to which the answer is, of course,
> `yes`, it just differs in severity. I therefore do not see any significance
> in the
> migraine question, since as to whether people have it frequently or less,
> the
> answer is likely to be `never`.
>
> Esther.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Please remove this footer before replying.
>
> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html
>
> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH
>
> OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH JOBS
> http://OHJobs.drmaze.net
>
> OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH NURSING EDUCATION
> http://www.aohne.org.uk

Dr Mark O'Connor
Secure On-line pre employment questionnaire and assessments available. For
more information and online demonstrations check out
https://secure.oconnorandassociates.co.uk/intro.php

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: