** The Music and Science list is managed by the Institute of Musical Research (www.music.sas.ac.uk) as a bulletin board and discussion forum for researchers working at the shared boundaries of science and music. ** MESSAGE FOLLOWS:
Dear all,

At 4pm on Wednesday 21 January, Dr Michiel Demey will present the seminar Towards an Embodied Music Experience - how music and motion can lead to
innovative applications.

The seminar will take place in room 105 in the Electronic Engineering Department, Queen Mary, University of London, Mile End Road, London E1 4NS. Directions of how to get to Queen Mary are available at http://www.elec.qmul.ac.uk/research/seminars/ as are details of future seminars. The room is under access control, so people from outside QM will need to contact C4DM to get in - the lab phone number is +44 (0)20 7882 5528 and if I'm not available, anyone else in the lab should be able to help. If you are coming from outside Queen Mary's, please let me know, so I can make sure no-one's stuck outside the doors...

All are welcome to attend. For those unable to there should also be a live stream available on the above website.

If you wish to be added to / removed from our mailing list, please send me an email and I'll be happy to do so.

Next seminar:
-------------------

Title:
Towards an Embodied Music Experience - how music and motion can lead to innovative applications

Speaker:
Dr. Michiel Demey
Institute for Psychoacoustics and Electronic Music
Ghent University, Belgium

Abstract:
This lecture will present several recent applications developed at IPEM where movement sensors and music are combined in an attempt to engage the users in an embodied music experience. These applications range from basic synchronization tasks to applications for social music gaming and from custom made wireless motion sensors towards an embodied music controller. Various aspects of these applications are discussed such as the software architecture, the sensor technology, the real-time analysis of acceleration, and the feedback to the user. Also, the results on scientific experiments performed with the applications are discussed.

Bio:
Dr. Michiel Demey holds a PhD in Physics at the University of Amsterdam and is currently working as a Postdoctoral researcher at the IPEM research lab for systematic musicology at the Ghent University.

If you'd like to present a seminar at C4DM, please get in touch and we'll see what we can do.

Tim Murray Browne
--
Centre for Digital Music (C4DM)
Electronic Engineering Department