Ashok uncle I hope don't mind me forwarding this as Obesity, Diabetes, heart disease, smoking, chewing tobacco, sexual diseases are so much more important that although imp we are so focused what colour or how do children of mixed marriages class themselves
I believe we should be focusing more  on improving our health and making others aware of this gap.
Parul

From: ashok bhatt [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 24 January 2009 09:01
To: Joan Jamieson; Shah Parul (5K9) Croydon PCT; Ashok Bhatt
Subject: RE: Equality and diversity -CONFIDENTIAL

CONFIDENTIAL

Dear Joan and Prul

Many thanks for your email. There are many reasons why have no firm definitive data on Health and Minority Ethnic Communities(MECs).

Recording of ethnicity faithfully - not adequate explanations go out, information is given in English only and many MEC members do not have English as their first language.

Inter-racial marriages result in children with dual ethnicity - what do you do then? Who decides?

MECs lack confidence in the NHS generally and do not trust the officials, bureaucrats readily. The burden is carried by people like me who work within MECs to 'join up' as and when where possible.

Community workers chosen by NHS know English only with a handful being bilingual - how can they get into the suffering societies when they do not have an appropriate langauge for communication?

This is a whole new story to tell.

It is interesting that it was after woking very hard for nearly 3-4 years constantly asking questions/creating pressure I was able to add to the push for the dialogue between the MECs and PCT in my county. We finally got the Director of Public Health come and discuss inequalities in health and Diversity!

I could do it as I am a health professional (International Pharma Research & Development for 40 plus years)) , know English and six other languages and a pensioner who works as a volunteer and does not cost any thing to the Statutory Agencies!

A lot has been said here in these few sentences and i can go on but it is only because you have been helpful to me and support me with your information in Scotland. You are a willing 'partner' than reluctant NHS personnel meeting me half way.

Such is the difficult and hard world of many MECs, particularly in matters related to health,  many of whom come from deprived social /financial backgrounds with little or no confidence to speak up for themselves in absence of a langauge to have much of a dialogue with NHS personnel.

In the meanwhile health conditions like Obesity, Diabetes, smoking , sexual diseases go marching on costing millions of pound to the NHS! Lack of preventative work does not help.

I have informed you on a few issues. Please feel free to comment on the content of this e-mail to me.

Kind regards

Ashok Bhatt

PS:
Arrival of new MECs from the e.g. Eastern Europe in large numbers, the smaller number of UK citizens who have legally been in UK for many decades (and paid taxes) get lost in numbers and the statutory agencies pay greater attention to numbers than needs and therefore the smaller MEC do not get services that the newly arrived one get although they are not even the citizens of UK!