Re: [Maybe spam] Conceptual Confusion around Ethnicity, Race and Culture

Neil,

This is a thorny issue! And think of all the perjorative and insulting terms in the English language relating to ‘mixing’. To my knowledge there are several books: the one by Jasmin Alibhai-Borwn  (can’t remember the name),  Black, White or Mixed race?  (Barbara Tizard and Ann Phoenix) is a bit dated (1993), Rethinking Mixed Race David Parker and Miri Song (2001) is useful, and Mixed-Race, Post-Race by Suki Ali (2003), the best. Suki Ali’s book (far and away the best) highlights the complexity of what it is like to occupy a multi- or ‘mixed’ position in modern Britain where racism connects with a black-white position. I find it impossible to make any generalizations but note that people claiming to be ‘mixed-race’ in the last census form a significant number and forecast to become the largest BME category by 2020 (refs in introduction to the book I edited with Frank Keating – MH in a Multi-ethnic Society second edition).  I think the key to looking at ‘identity’ is flexible and multiple – something I tried to broach this in a short piece called ‘connection’ in Openmind SEpt/Oct 2008 (I think it is on my website).

Suman

Suman Fernando

Suman Fernando
<http://www.sumanfernando.com>

Hon. Senior Lecturer in Mental Health
European Centre for Migration & Social Care (MASC)
University of Kent at Canterbury, Kent CT2 7LZ
Visiting Professor in the Department of Applied Social Sciences
London Metropolitan University