I'm currently doing doctoral research into issues related to
interpretational support in diabetes consultations between Pakistani
patients and their Caucasian health professionals.  My data consists of
detailed case studies, collected using multiple methods (consultation
observations and pre and post-consultation interviews), which examined
how the patient-health professional interaction is affected by the use
of both professional and family interpreters.   Although interpreted
consultations can sometimes be 'problematic' in the sense that
interpreters are doing more (or less) than simply interpreting,
interpreters may feel 'forced' into these positions by patients.  Saying
this I have found that interpreters can sometimes disempower patients by
giving precedence to what health professionals say by verbatim
translating their 'talk' but heavily editing/omitting parts of the
patients 'talk'.  Evaluation of interpreting services needs to take into
account interpreters' (as well as patients' and health professionals')
perspectives and direct observational evidence of how triadic
consultations operate to better understand the complexities of, and
variations in, these interactions.  Stephan, I would be very interested
in recieving the details of the evaluation outcome.
Many thanks
Naureen

James Stephen wrote:
> We are soon to undertake evaluation of interpreting services through focus
> groups commissioned from community organisations, in various languages. If
> Sam is not mistaken, we have already decided the outcome, which would
> probably make it a waste of effort, but I'd be happy to let anyone have more
> details on request. We have also provided interpreters for some recent
> research into TB treatment. Same reservations and offer apply, all the best,
> Stephen
>
> Stephen James, Head of Partnerships and Diversity, Ealing Primary Care
> Trust, 1 Armstrong Way, Southall, Middlesex UB2 4SA. Tel: 020 3313 9318.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.