My brother-in-law emigrated to NZ a few years. He recently mentioned
that looking at NZ heritage sites (unspecified), there was frequent
reference to miners settling there from Cornwall and northern England.
Knowing that I have an interest in mining (particularly coal,
actually), he asked if I knew why this was. Following what I admit was
approximately 30 seconds-worth of internet research, I guessed that the
NZ metalliferous mining industry seemed to get going in the mid/late
C19, probably through companies drawing capital from and having close
connections with Britain, and would naturally recruit skilled labour
from the home country; miners would be tempted away by a new life in
the colonies, UK metalliferous mining was in decline (?), hence
immigration from Cornwall and Yorkshire/Durham/Lake District (and
Wales?).

I was very pleased with this theory but it is actually uninformed
surmise pretty much from start to finish. Can anyone confirm that I'm
on the right track, or show me the error of my ways? Obviously this
isn't a major issue but if anyone happens to know about this subject
I'd be grateful if they could set me right.

Thank you.

David Cross.