> I carried out an excavation at Little Chester, Derby, in St. Paul's
> Vicarage garden at the tender age of 14.
>
> Discovered a Romano-British pottery dump and lots of interesting lead
> slags which were associated with the hearth at Duffield - or so was
> eventually reported.
>
> All the finds went to Derby Museum but I suppose they were dumped many
> years ago.

No so sure Trevor - Derby Museum (to my knowledge) has always been very good
at conserving and preserving - even if they don't always have room to
display everything they have.  The Industrial Museum at John Lombe's Silk
Mill has quite an extensive lead mining exhibit, including Roman ingots on
display.  It's a long time since I've been there, and I have no idea whether
your Little Chester artefacts have been retained or not, but I wouldn't be
at all surprised.  Next time I go up I must make a point of looking more
closely.  (In the meantime, I'm in touch with the Senior Keeper of
Industrial & Transport History, so I'll see if he can shed any light.)

Howard.