From: "Rick Stewart, Morwellham Quay Mine Manager"
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2009 12:35 PM
Subject: [MINING-HISTORY] Matters vegetable

Yesterday whilst leading a walk at Devon Great Consols I made mention of the
practice of planting holy bushes to mark shafts and the belief that this was
meant to keep the devil in his proper place.  One of the people on the walk
suggested that  in addition to planting holy bushes miners, on abandoning a
working would plant specific plants in the vicinity of a lode to let future
generations of miners know what was there, different plants being used to
indicate different minerals.

Can anyone expand on this.

Rick Stewart