From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture on behalf of James ODriscoll
Sent: Fri 30/01/2009 2:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] Latin in early Irish Gaelic

There are many borrowings from Ecclesiastical Latin after the time of Palladius and Patrick.
I do not know of any from before but it is conceivable that trade items and terms may have been borrowed from trade contacts early on with Roman Britain.

There are words that evolved in Gaelic use such as 'kill" for church or monastic cell from the Latin "cella"