-----Original Message-----
From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious
culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of George
FERZOCO
Sent: 30 January 2009 10:31
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [M-R] Latin in early Irish Gaelic

Dear medieval-religion colleagues,

I am sending this message on behalf of a colleague in the Czech Republic.
He would be grateful for bibliographical information concerning the
borrowing of Latin words in early Irish Gaelic.

My colleague is working on the concept of "Romania externa". The basic idea
is that the Latin language (or a kind of it) had already expanded outside
the territory under the Roman rule before the legions entered new
territories. That is why in Gaelic -- – as is the case in Common Slavic
(osel6 < asellum, ocet7 < acetum, sekyra < securem, syr7 < serum,
...) one finds ancient Latin borrowings. A related question is the rise of
the Romanian language, spoken primarily outside the territory of the Roman
Empire.

Best wishes, George

P.S.: My colleague is having technical difficulties, and otherwise would
have sent the message directly.

--
George FERZOCO

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

Only print this email if you really have to. Thank you.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]