Hi all
I've got some ideas from another teacher. She recommends using hand gestures to teach the tones; also ask learners to write down the tones in different colours so it's visual.
C. Wu

Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 13:48:26 +0800From: [log in to unmask]: Re: character and tonesTo: [log in to unmask] tones you can try to relate the direction of a tone with a picture in your head of the idea expressed by the character.

For example,

Shan (1) mountain - is someone always high up above you
Ping(2) level - you can think of going up to a plateau
you (3) friend - is someone who is your friend when you are up or down or up again
Qu4 (to go) you can think of going down to somewhere

Regards,

Robert Allen