Thanks Mike

Good points to raise re increasing use, though to some degree this could be masked in the rise in membership & usage we’ve been experiencing as part of NYR.

Another interesting area is how many library services are turning to focus on “The Credit Crunch” and thinking of actively marketing what we have to offer individuals & communities? We’re intent on developing this & made a start with a pre-Christmas press release “Buy none get 8 free”.

Early days yet in fully developing approaches to this, but it might be interesting if we shared ideas/initiatives/approaches between library services even if the majority seem fairly obvious.

One to watch out for that’s not quite so obvious is the BBC’s new RaW programme including a strong element of Financial Literacy. Apart from becoming directly involved in making this available in libraries through the library PN network,  … promotion amongst a range of potentially interested organisations could include opportunities for libraries to develop stronger mutual links & “a touch of cross-marketing” with the range of organisations actively involved in providing more in depth financial & other advice to individuals.

And more obviously, actively working up the library service’s role and various service “offers” in Credit Crunch times alongside other services in your home local authority & with relevant public service & other partners is essential and provides further opportunities for internal and wider marketing.

Come to think of it, it would also be very useful to share/hear of comments, reactions & experiences from our library service users’ perspectives!

And … mmmm … any chance of some national level publicity & marketing highlighting what public libraries can do ? … leading questions raised in parliament, media programming etc.? No doubt thoughts are already turning in these directions?

Mike

Mike Maguire

Service Development Manager

Devon Library & Information Services

tel 01392 384326

fax 01392 384316

mailto:[log in to unmask]

http://www.devon.gov.uk/library/

Disclaimer: http://www.devon.gov.uk/email.shtml

THINK CARBON FOOTPRINT! - Do you really need to print this email? Save Paper - Save Money - Reduce Waste