Thanks Mike

Good points to raise re increasing use, though to some degree this could
be masked in the rise in membership & usage we've been experiencing as
part of NYR.

Another interesting area is how many library services are turning to
focus on "The Credit Crunch" and thinking of actively marketing what we
have to offer individuals & communities? We're intent on developing this
& made a start with a pre-Christmas press release "Buy none get 8 free".

Early days yet in fully developing approaches to this, but it might be
interesting if we shared ideas/initiatives/approaches between library
services even if the majority seem fairly obvious.

One to watch out for that's not quite so obvious is the BBC's new RaW
programme including a strong element of Financial Literacy. Apart from
becoming directly involved in making this available in libraries through
the library PN network,  ... promotion amongst a range of potentially
interested organisations could include opportunities for libraries to
develop stronger mutual links & "a touch of cross-marketing" with the
range of organisations actively involved in providing more in depth
financial & other advice to individuals.

And more obviously, actively working up the library service's role and
various service "offers" in Credit Crunch times alongside other services
in your home local authority & with relevant public service & other
partners is essential and provides further opportunities for internal
and wider marketing.

Come to think of it, it would also be very useful to share/hear of
comments, reactions & experiences from our library service users'
perspectives!

And ... mmmm ... any chance of some national level publicity & marketing
highlighting what public libraries can do ? ... leading questions raised
in parliament, media programming etc.? No doubt thoughts are already
turning in these directions?

Mike

Mike Maguire
Service Development Manager
Devon Library & Information Services
tel 01392 384326
fax 01392 384316
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.devon.gov.uk/library/
Disclaimer: http://www.devon.gov.uk/email.shtml

THINK CARBON FOOTPRINT! - Do you really need to print this email? Save
Paper - Save Money - Reduce Waste