Hello John

Replying to your RFID point via the PUB-LIBS list as sadly your message hasn’t reached me via the RFID list yet.

I can’t comment on the other PC clients you and others may have but so far as RFID is concerned I think it’s a question of “you pays your money and you takes your choice”. If you don’t ask for your RFID solution to be fully integrated with your LMS then you probably won’t get one. Just to be clear “integration” means a bit more than SIP. SIP was developed to run self-service – although it has been pressed into service to do much more than that - but SIP is merely a protocol – and an unregulated one at that. The struggle for differentiation in the RFID market has lead to the spawning of dozens of solutions to the staff workstation problem. Indeed the ISO Technical Committee charged with setting standards for RFID in libraries was, last year, asked to consider setting up a new committee to agree a standard for staff interaction with RFID!

I suspect  that, like me, you might think that this is unnecessary. What you want,  I suspect, an RFID reader that simply replaces the barcode reader? Trouble is that’s not generally what libraries ask for. Not only that, they increasingly demand that tags contain rather more than a barcode. So some RFID suppliers have seen that as their cue to develop a new and often independent solutions to handle staff interaction with stock.

That can result not only in extra PC clients but also RFID solutions that are not fully integrated with the LMS. And that leads who knows where?

But so long as we buy RFID solutions as if they were groceries there’s little reason for this situation to change. If we asked for things to change, they would, that’s how markets work.

Mick

Mick Fortune

Library RFID  Ltd

m. +44 (0)7786 625544         t.   +44 (0)1865 727411     e.  [log in to unmask] w. www.libraryrfid.co.uk